The Nazarbayev University School of Engineering (SEng) aims to be the leading engineering school in Kazakhstan and Central Asia. The SEng's goal is to prepare its graduates to meet the growing demand for professional practitioners in the fields of chemical, mechanical, civil and electronic engineering. SEng is the largest school by number of Nazarbayev University students enrolled. School of Engineering (SEng) and the School of Science and Technology (SST) at Nazarbayev University have launched a PhD program in Science, Engineering and Technology.
Every applicant to the PhD program is required to submit on-line an application package in English (or notarized English translation) and send its hard copy to the following address: Graduate Admissions Department, 53, Kabanbay Batyr Ave., Astana, 010000, Kazakhstan before the deadline set by the Admissions Committee. The application package includes the following:
- every applicant must register on the official University website http://admissions.nu.edu.kz and complete an online application form in English;
- resume in English. It should not exceed one A4 page and should be incorporated into the on-line application form;
- a cover letter explaining the motivation to enroll on the PhD program, the choice of the engineering discipline and the tentative choice of the research subject. The choice of the discipline should be the same as indicated in the on-line application form. The cover letter should not exceed one A4 page;
- two confidential letters of reference in English (or with English translation) as indicated in the form available on the applicant’s personal page should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. One of the two recommendations must be written by a current or previous employer. The second referee may be chosen at the applicant’s discretion. Reference letters should be sent from the official e-mail address indicated in the application form and/or hard copies (signed and stamped/on an official letterhead) should be provided in a sealed envelope to Graduate Admissions Department;
- copy (-ies) of Master’s degree diploma and/or its equivalent with transcript(s) with notarized English translation.
Applicants who obtained Master’s degree diploma and/or its equivalent with transcript(s) from foreign educational institutions must request hard copies of their official transcript(s) to be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions Department;
- for applicants whose native language is not English as determined by the Admissions Committee, English language proficiency test reports (IELTS or TOEFL or CPE) valid as of the date of submission of application package. The PhD program has a mandatory level of English language proficiency equal to an IELTS overall grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each of the subtests or a TOEFL score of 232 for Computer-Based Test (CBT), 575 for Paper-Based Test (PBT) and 90 for Internet-Based Test (IBT) or a CPEoverall score of 45 and pass in all components;
Applicants, who obtained university level degree in educational institutions with English as the language of instruction, are exempt from the provision of the English language proficiency test reports;
- applicants may submit a copy of GRE (general test) scores valid for the application period. However submission of the GRE certificate is not obligatory;
- copy of the applicant’s identity card or passport (with notarized English translation).
◄ Go back